Canada’s Royal Winnipeg ballet is currently looking for a Head Carpenter to join our team.
As the Head Carpenter you will be responsible for overseeing the installation of all scenic elements for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet Company shows, including planning and executing all truck packs, installations, and strikes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the Crew Chief, supervise staff attendance, work, motivation and well-being in order to build an effective team.
- Create and maintain complete and accurate show records including show notes, plots and show information. Oversee and compile all records from the Head of Lighting, Props and Wardrobe.
- Attend and participate in such meetings that will promote sound communication, liaison and decision making with Artistic and Technical staff. These shall include: production meetings, creations meetings and event planning meetings.
- Schedule and oversee all RWB Crew calls including but not limited to: shop days, prep days, load & unloading calls, rehearsals and show calls.
- Produce and manage the distribution of all show and tour related information including but not limited to: crew and bus calls, show itineraries, venue specifications, hanging plots and scenery setup plans.
- Supervise all load ins, installs, strikes and get outs for all RWB Company productions.
- Liaise with Artistic, Stage Management, Production Management, and Department Heads to solve all technical problems with the maximum efficiency.
- Extensive travel is required for this position.
- Work irregular hours and weekend shifts as required.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy loads and stand for extended periods.
- Work at heights as required.
Education and Qualifications:
- College or university degree or diploma in Theatre Production or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience touring in a theatre or ballet environment.
- Natural Resources Canada Pyro-technician License is desirable.
- Person lift ticket.
- Clean driving record
- Criminal background check.
- Child Abuse Registry check.
Skills and Specifications:
- The ability to organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Detail oriented, resourceful and flexible and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communications skills; the ability to deliver a message written and orally to achieve job success.
- Willingness to work with and lead a diverse team of heads of department, and local crew.
- Strong writing, mathematical and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and Vectorworks or AutoCAD software.
- The ability to read and create (AutoCAD or Vectorworks) technical drawings.
Please submit your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 02, 2015.
P. Kavanagh-Stoesz Director of Human Resources Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet
We wish to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.