Our Strategy to Respond to COVID-19
As of March 30, 2020, Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet continues to follow the guidelines, orders and mandates provided by government bodies. Due to the Province of Manitoba shutdown of all non-critical businesses between April 1 though April 14, 2020, the RWB Building on 380 Graham Avenue and the RWB Warehouse will remain closed.
We will continue to operate the RWB Box Office remotely and deliver dance education digitally. The RWB residence is deemed an essential service and therefore remains open, but with heavily restricted access. The health and safety of our students, families, patrons and staff is extremely important to us and we are implementing all recommended measures, including but not limited to essential staff in key RWB administrative departments working from home until further notice.
A message from RWB Artistic Director & CEO André Lewis
As of March 20, 80 Years – A Retrospective scheduled for May 6-10, 2020 has been cancelled as a necessary and responsible action to protect our artists, staff and our patrons. We understand these are uncertain times and for your convenience, we are offering the following options:
- Apply a credit to your account which can be applied towards a 2020/21 performance or subscription package and we would like to offer you an additional $20 to your account.
- Donate your ticket in exchange for a charitable tax receipt
- Receive a full refund.
These options will be available effective immediately until end of day on Tuesday, May 5, 2020 which is the day before 80 Years – A Retrospective was scheduled to open. You may call in to our box office at 204.956.2792 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and a customer service representative would be happy to assist. Please note a change in box office hours on our website as we do our best to support you.
Click here for additional information regarding the cancellation of 80 Years - A Retrospective
As of Saturday, March 14 we have taken the following actions:
- The RWB School Recreational Division suspended all classes and programs effective Saturday, March 14, 2020 for a period of four weeks.
- The RWB Company suspended all classes and rehearsals effective Monday, March 16, 2020
- The RWB School Professional Division is suspending all classes and programs effective Thursday, March 19 up to and including Sunday, April 12, 2020 The RWB School Residence currently remains open
- The RWB Aspirant’s Manitoba On The Edge Tour has been cancelled.
- The RWB Company’s United States Oz Tour has been cancelled.
- The RWB’s 80th Anniversary Ballet Ball - Pretty in Pink has been cancelled.
- The RWB’s Home Coming event has been postponed until October 23-25, 2020
We continue to assess all other upcoming scheduled performances and events and will share information as soon as it is available.
The RWB continues to take steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including greater access to hand sanitizer and more frequent cleaning and sanitizing of public areas. We encourage all visitors to take precautions, including frequent hand washing with soap and water along with additional personal hygiene tips to avoid the spread of any illness. Please stay home if you are unwell and if you have questions, contact your healthcare provider.
If you have tickets to a live performing arts event or have registered for a class or workshop that is cancelled due to COVID-19, please consider donating your investment rather than requesting a refund. The livelihood of countless performing arts professionals in your neighborhood is at stake and in many cases charitable receipts are available.
The arts have always played an integral role in times of distress; a perfect example is Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet began in 1939, the same year as the start of World War II. We will continue to create art in the next days, weeks, months, and years and we invite you to dance with us.