ExplorAbility for Adults
ExplorAbility for Adults is a unique dance class designed specifically for adults with different abilities. Classes are focused on developing body awareness, self-expression, coordination, posture and alignment, all in a fun, creative and supportive environment. Participants will explore a variety of dance styles (creative movement, ballet, jazz, modern) and music (popular, classical, percussion).
Current research has been found to boost psychological health and feelings of social inclusion, as well as improve physical health (balance, agility, motor performance) for persons who have physical and/or cognitive disability.
New for this year! Participants/students have the option to volunteer to participate in a research study presented by the University of Manitoba. Participation in the study is on a volunteer basis and will help us to better understand how participation in dance programming can impact balance and movement function/ability.
2021 Class Schedule
Things to know
- Support staff/caregivers are welcome attend and encouraged participate in the program (at no additional cost)!
- All classes begin with seated dancing and progress to standing, then travelling sequences.
- Seated options are provided for those who prefer to continue dancing in a seated position.
- The class is designed to engage participants cognitively, physically and creatively through a variety of music and dance styles.
- Comfortable attire is recommended. Footwear may be soft dance slippers/shoes, socks, or clean street shoes/runners (no outdoor footwear please)
- It is recommended that participants speak to their healthcare provider before registering for the program
Wheelchairs, walkers and other devices are welcome. With advance notice, ASL assistance may be arranged for the hearing impaired.
**Research can be referenced by (Ladwig et al., 2019, 2018, 2017) University of Manitoba Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management
Please contact the School Office for more information: