PEOPLE SERVICES MANAGER
Department: People Services
Status: Full-time, term - approximately 1 year
Hours: 40 hours/week
The People Services Manager manages and oversees the operations of the People Services (Human Resources) functions for the Organization in the areas of staffing and recruitment, employee relations, health and safety, benefits administration, and performance management. This position works collaboratively with all levels of management, while supporting employees, to foster a positive and inclusive culture. The People Services Manager provides support to the Company, School and Shared Services in delivering exceptional Human Resources services.
*This is an approximate 1 year term position from May 2021 to June 2022.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LEADERSHIP AND EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
- Manage the overall administration, coordination, and operations of People Services processes and programs.
- Lead People Services department; provide training and development, performance feedback, coaching and guidance.
- Advise Leadership Team on Human Resources best practices, ensuring proper legislative compliance.
- Coach and guide management in effective leadership and resolution of employee concerns and issues; including performance management and progressive discipline.
- Provide leadership and support with People Services communications and organizational alignment.
- Conduct investigations of employee complaints and concerns as required.
- Maintain consistent lines of communication with management to ensure needs are met.
- Support employees acting as an employee advocate, ensuring proper employee relations at all levels.
- Oversee Medical Services.
- Assist with special projects, providing guidance as needed.
- Oversee policies, ensure proper communication and access of policies throughout the organization.
- Provide guidance, assistance and interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Maintain a system of checks and balances to support accountability where required.
- Keep up-to-date with applicable employment legislation to ensure compliance changes are reflected accordingly.
STAFFING AND RECRUITMENT
- Oversee recruitment and ensure vacancies are filled across the organization.
- Support People Services Administrator in the development of job descriptions and postings, interview and asses candidates as required.
- Oversee the offer and onboarding process and assist with conducting new hire orientations.
- Oversee compliance and documentation of required background checks including Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry.
- In collaboration with People Services Administrator, conduct exit interviews, analyze data, and prepare summary report to address areas for improvement.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Manage Safety, Health and Wellness, coordinating the initiatives of the Safety, Health and Wellness Committee; act as the Safety Officer and ensure compliance of legislative requirements.
- Oversee and manage COVID related safety documentation, monitor changing regulations to ensure protocols are updated accordingly.
- Manage the development and implementation of safe work procedures.
- Manage workplace incident investigations, ensure safety concerns are addressed.
- Continue to develop and manage safety program, ensure managers are equipped to address safety in their respective areas.
- Manage disability claims and return to work process.
- Oversee the administration of Health & Safety documentation.
- Oversee benefits administration and assist in responding to employee inquiries.
- Oversee current annual review process; develop a proposal for a revised process.
- Assist and provide support with student concerns and issues when needed.
- Provide support for Employee Union Groups and Associations as needed and participate in contract negotations.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position works with standard office equipment and sits for periods of time performing keyboarding activities. The People Services Manager experiences frequent interruptions which requires the flexibility to shift focus and re-prioritize as necessary. Success of the position requires logic, effective communication, emotional intelligence and understanding of how to operate in the grey zone.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources required.
- Progressive Human Resources experience, preferably in a non-profit sector.
- 3+ years of HR management experience, preferably working in a school environment.
- Demonstrated people leader providing support, coaching and guidance to varying levels.
- Strong knowledge of Human Resources best practices and employment law.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- CPHR designation a strong asset.
- Exposure to Labour Relations and Collective Agreements an asset.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive relationships with all levels.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with strong multi-tasking capabilities.
- Highly accurate, detail-oriented with solid problem solving skills.
- Sound judgement and decision-making; ability to analyze data and provide recommendation.
- High level of professionalism and leadership with strong ethical standards.
- Ability to maintain tact and diplomacy in various situations.
If you are qualified for this position, apply to Kara Neilson at email@example.com. Candidates must submit a cover letter that showcases your personality and fit for the role, and resume. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date: Until position is filled.
As part of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet hiring process, successful candidates will be required to submit a satisfactory Criminal Background check and Child Abuse Registry check.